The Float Spa SF is a dedicated flotation therapy center located in Sneads Ferry, North Carolina. With recovery and symptom relief from a host of mental and physical health conditions (whether temporary or chronic), we know you'll find REST here. Read on to learn about the mental health, physical health, and wellness benefits of flotation.
Floating for Physical Health
Physically, being cradled in a giant Epsom Salt bath totally free from the effects of gravity is a treatment unparalleled. We're all familiar with the benefits of soaking our sore feet in Epsom salt, so imagine bringing that relief to your entire body. Due to the anti-gravity environment AND the magnesium sulfate, flotation helps with the following:
- Dissipation of lactic acid build up in muscles - meaning faster recovery from athletic training or military training. Relieve soreness at a highly accelerated rate
- Correction of magnesium deficiencies - Magnesium deficits can cause muscle spasms, cramps, migraines, digestive issues, insomnia, chronic fatigue and more. The body will absorb the magnesium sulfate in the tank through the skin during your float session, which will help relieve a lot of these symptoms!
- Pain reduction for chronic pain conditions, migraines, or injury - Arthritis, fibromyalgia, and multiple sclerosis sufferers find great relief in the stress-less environment. ALL of the stress on the joints is removed due to your weightless state in the tank. Floaters report drastic decrease in their symptoms even after the first float with effects lasting hours, days, and weeks.
- Detoxify your skin and body - floating drains the lymph nodes diminishing the appearance of cellulite and creating glowing skin. The Epsom Salt gently exfoliates and restores electrolytes and moisture to your skin
- Decreases the production of cortisol, ACTH, lactic acid and adrenaline
- Increases production of endorphins
- Reduces blood pressure, pulse, heart rate and oxygen consumption
- Boosts immune function
Floating for Mental Health
This is where the Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy (REST) part comes in. At any given time, your brain is using about 60% of its power to process the world around it and maintain homeostasis. The environment in the body removes the need for those processes, thus rerouting brain power to heal itself and your body.
- Stimulates left/right brain synchronization - for increase in overall mental health, enhancing cognitive performance, better memory, and intellectual functioning.
- Shifts brain waves from beta to lower alpha, delta, or theta frequency - allowing for more powerful rest, relieving insomnia, and creating a meditative state
- Fosters alertness and mental clarity
Powerful the relief of post-traumatic stress (PTS, PTSD, CPSTD) whether combat related or not - The The meditative state of your brain while floating calms the part of the brain responsible for the "fight or flight" response which becomes hyperactive when triggers are present in sufferers of PTS. When that part of the brain is calmed, the pre-frontal cortex (responsible for logic and reasoning) is strengthened. Over time, the pre-frontal cortex can control the response more effectively, even if the "fight or flight" is triggered.
"Patients suffering from PTSD can get a tremendous benefit from flotation therapy." Dr. Justin Feinstein, Clinical Neuropsychologist, Laureate Institute for Brain Research
- Increases problem-solving and creativity
- Vastly improves the quality of life for sufferers of any stress or anxiety related mental health conditions - ADHD, ADD, OCD, Sensory Overload, etc.
- Powerful relief for sensory sensitivity in autism patients - A completely sensory void environment that is also calming and quiet has shown to be a great tool for promoting a calmer mind.
- Heightens visualization - great for athletes
- Accelerates learning - Trying to learn a new language or study? Playing PodCasts or language lessons through the mp3 dock attached to your Pod will help you solidify your learning faster!
- Enhances self-hypnosis and hypnotherapy
- Powerful for allowing the brain to free itself from addiction of any kind - Smoking, eating disorders, alcoholism, etc.
Floating for Overall Wellness & Health
If you're not seeking any benefit in particular, flotation is still powerful for a feeling of overall wellness, decreased daily stress, better sleep, and just a "feel good" feeling. When we ARE better, we live better.
- Promotes peaceful relaxation and total calm - Great to escape the sensory overload of ringing phones, screen time, work, and, yes, reruns of Doc McStuffins or Sesame Street
- Eliminates jet lag and fatigue - 1 hour of rest in the Pod is equivalent to about 4 hours in your bed due to an environment of total body support and an environment that promotes decreased brain activity
- Improves sleep - Even outside the Pod! Floaters have reported chronic insomnia diminished after even the 1st float.
- Alleviates mental and physical stress
- Energizes, restores, rejuvinates, and revitalizes
- Diminishes depression, anxiety, and fear and promotes motivation
- Facilitates freedom from phobias, addictions, and habits